Mission and Vision
The Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio was incorporated in 1984 with one purpose in mind, to accomplish our mission. That is:
We believe this can be achieved by providing families and individuals living with Down syndrome with meaningful, convenient and unique opportunities to discover independence and to celebrate their achievements.
To meet that goal, we have a vision:
What We Have to Offer
DSACO has a number of resources that assist us in meeting our goal and achieving our vision. They include:
- Onsite Resources: Anyone is welcome to visit our office between the hours of 9:00am and 5:00pm. We offer a well-stocked library with current books, videos, and articles addressing the many issues associated with Down syndrome.
- Information and Education: Through the "Keeping Up Community Information Series", the Association provides speakers and resources on relevant topics that parents, service providers, and health professionals need to keep current with the latest information and practices with regard to Down syndrome.
- Programs and Services: DSACO offers a number of programs from "Changing Lives" that aids medical professionals, "Lose the Training Wheels" that helps those with disabilities learn to ride two-wheelers, "Keeping Up Community Information Series"—and so much more. To see a complete list of our Programs and Services, click here.
- Telephone Help Line & Referral Services: DSACO offers assistance by answering your questions, simply listening to your concerns, and making referrals for services that are needed for your son or daughter. You can reach our experienced and compassionate volunteers just by giving us a call at (614) 263-6020.
- Newsletter, E-blast, & Facebook: DSACO publishesKeeping Up, an informative member newsletter six to eight times a year. The newsletter is packed with the latest information on Down syndrome, including book reviews, medical reports, and individual success stories about our members. Each newsletter also features a calendar of upcoming DSACO events. Members also receive weekly e-blasts, keeping them up-to-date on the latest information from the Association. You can also find us on Facebook by searching for "Down Syndrome Association of Central Ohio."
- Support Groups: DSACO offers different support groups to help all ages navigate the twists and turns of nurturing their relationship with a person who has Down syndrome—whether you are a parent, sibling or someone else who cares for an individual with Down syndrome. These groups include new parent support groups, parent support groups for children ages 3 to 19, county groups and the adult/self-advocate group. Click here to learn more about these support groups.
- Social Functions: From our Family Picnic and Dance to our Winter Holiday Party, there's always something exciting and entertaining on the DASCO calendar. These events provide perfect settings and fun activities to connect with other families and individuals with Down syndrome.
- Invaluable Connections: DSACO provides connection to other local, state and national agencies that share our mission and serve individuals with Down syndrome.